Tuesday, September 1, 2015

September 1, 2015 - Mrs. Flores' Bilingual Kindergarten

The new school year is back in full swing, and my new students are excited as can be. Their eagerness to learn makes the long and grueling hours I spend working at the beginning of each new school year worth it. Their positive attitudes are contagious; from the second I wake up I feel energized and ready for a full day of teaching! This group of kids are as special as each and every single student that has been in my classrooms through my teaching career. From the first time they enter our classroom, we become a Kindergarten family. We all give and receive love, care, respect, and support.

I always tell my students that they can learn so much from the simplest things in life. Today I experienced how a Kindergarten student can channel his creativity and make a difference in the world. One of my students approached me while I was drinking a bottle of water and asked “Mrs. Flores, please do not throw away the cap when your finish the water. I would like to collect as many as I can so that my grandmother can take them to Monterrey, Mexico to help children like us, but who suffer from cancer”. I was speechless when I heard him asking all of his classmates to do the same. He came back to talk to me and asked if I could tell my family and friends because he wants to collect a 100 or 1,000!




The day went on and I was still awestruck by his selflessness, not to mention his initiative to present and implement a project that can have a positive impact on the lives of many. Sometimes, we adults underestimate the abilities of our youngsters. Witnessing this initiative from my Kinder student this year has given us the drive to help those who are less fortunate than us in our community. We have decided that this year, our class will participate in a couple of projects that will benefit the members of our community. I am so lucky to have such bright young minds in my class this year. I just love my students!

Mrs. Marjorie Flores

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Amazing! I'll save my caps too! Your students are so lucky to have you listening to them and being their coach!!!

    ReplyDelete