Tuesday, September 22, 2015

September 22 - Mrs. Miller's Fourth Grade

What a huge blessing it is to rub shoulders with my 4th grade angels each day!  In our morning meetings, we talk a lot about what it means to be a “good” person.  We talk about manners, kindness, respect, and all those other things that we know are qualities of a good person. However, the proof is in our actions.  I tear up almost daily as I listen to the kind words that are shared between class members.  It warms my heart when I see another student stop what they are doing to help a classmate who appears to be struggling. No one asks them to do it. They just see the need and take action. 

In our class, every Thursday is “Thoughtful Thursday.”  That is when we take a few minutes to write a note of appreciation or kindness and give it to someone.   My angels, however, have taken this day to heart and have decided we should be thoughtful EVERY day.  We decided as a class to “choose KIND” in all we do.  That means, we leave things better than we find them, we greet others with a smile and eye contact, we choose to not take offense, we look for the good in others, and we look for opportunities to help and include others. We have taken the challenge to be our best and to bring out the best in others.

When it comes to academic learning, my Scientists and Mathematicians are ready and willing to take on any challenge I give them.  They love discovering how their world works and how addicting learning is when you make connections.  This morning, I couldn’t contain my joy when I heard some of my students on their way to class saying, “I wonder what we’re going to be learning in science today? Science is so much fun! I can’t wait to do another experiment.”  Be still my heart!  We, of course, had a blast testing what happens when you add heat to matter (chocolate chips, gummy bears, marshmallows, glue sticks, ice…)  

As if that wasn’t enough, my heart leapt again during math work shop when another group of students silently took the hand of a classmate who was obviously struggling with the activity. They went to a corner of the room and sang our Decimal Place Value song complete with the movements!  Again, they saw a friend in need and took action. Awesome!

So, yeah, you can say it was another amazing day mingling with some really special people.  I often wonder who is teaching who! I sure love my job!

Mrs. Julie Miller


No comments:

Post a Comment