Friday, May 20, 2016

May 20 - Miss Glasscock, Fourth Grade

Coming Out in G-Force

Real life learning happened on Friday at Morton Ranch Elementary, and experiencing this was daunting and beautiful, all at the same time. It wasn’t part of the curriculum or in the lesson plans, but it quite possibly might be the most important lesson both my 4th graders and I learned this year.

The moment I picked up my Little Gs (my term of endearment for them) from lunch in the cafeteria, I could sense something was off, something was wrong. They walked solemnly towards me, not bouncing with energy like usual, several students had tears in their eyes. As I walked down the line to gain a better understanding of what might be going on, I took a moment to look into the eyes of the kids who were and weren’t crying. They all looked similar with varying degrees of despair and sadness. “This can’t be happening,” I thought to myself. I quickly thought of a recent TED talk I watched on Twitter about emotional stress in young students and thought of the dabbling I had been doing in studying mindfulness (thank you Kate Henninger) and decided going back to the classroom to “check off a lesson” would be counterproductive to these kiddos’ well-being. We exited the cafeteria and headed for the front porch of the school. Looking back, maybe this decision was just second nature for me, as so many problems have been solved in my life by talking them out with trusting folks, on a beautiful day, on a porch.



We all sat in a circle, some wanting to be close, others trying to not to be part of the group. “Thumbs up if this is a class issue, or thumbs down if this is an issue concerning a few people?” I asked. All 19 kiddos put their thumbs up. As luck or divine intervention would have it, our Zoe had a koosh ball with her. “Zoe, can I borrow your koosh ball?” Zoe tossed it to me. “Nobody can talk unless this is in their hand.” I instructed. What followed was a respectful, purposeful REAL conversation among all of us. It began with students saying there were arguments among them in a previous class, something I was unaware of. Before the conversation could turn into a “he said, she said”, the kiddos were reminded to only speak on THEIR actions, not those of others. This began with apologies to each other for their actions towards their peers. Students were taking pride in apologizing, taking ownership, and asking for forgiveness. They were doing this without trying to make excuses for their actions. I witnessed students who, at first, I could tell were not going to admit wrongdoing. These are my tough as nails boys, but then as they heard others apologizing to them, their faces softened, their hearts opened, and these tough as nails boys couldn’t get the koosh ball in their hands fast enough to ask for forgiveness of those they had wronged. This was powerful and beautiful, yet I knew we had to get to the root of the issue. These kids hadn’t been mean or petty all year long. What was causing this? And then it was said…the smallest student in our class vocalized for the other 18 the “WHY” behind all of this. “I don’t know why this is happening, why I am acting like this, Miss Glasscock. I’m stressed and I just don’t want to lose these friends I’ve made. I just got them and some are leaving.” Almost in unison students burst into tears and/or begin fiercely nodding their heads in agreement. There it was…19 students looking at me for answers on how to face…their fear of change.



As students continued to talk it out, I began ferociously texting Ms. Harrison and Mrs. Carr. “They will know how to handle this better than I,” I thought. No one wrote back. No one answered the phone. No one came. Funny thing is, I knew they were in meetings in the conference room that had a window looking out to where we were sitting. I wondered if this was the way it was supposed to be. That together, these 19 beautiful souls and I could figure out how to conquer this fear, a fear I, myself have struggled with throughout my 33 years. I asked one student to go grab a book off of my small group table, while the others were talking, listening, validating each other’s thoughts and feelings. “Why is Katy doing this to us?” one student looked at me and asked. I tried my best to explain that change was part of life and that Katy ISD wasn’t doing this to them, they were doing this to help all students have exactly what they needed to best learn, that we were getting too big, so more schools needed to be built. I even told them about how the same thing happened to me as a little girl, in Katy ISD, with the building of Fielder Elementary and Beck Junior High…how my friends and I were separated, not once, but twice…how it made for a special bond between the Katy High and Taylor High classes of 2001. Some took comfort in knowing that we were alike, others weren’t having it. “Channel your inner Julie Harrison, your inner Kelley Carr, your inner Christina Dismuke, what would they say or do? How can we turn this negative into a positive?” was my inner dialogue.


 Julie, Kelley, Christina


After letting them talk it out, I asked them if I could read them a book. They agreed and so I began reading the picture book, “We Shall Overcome: The Story of a Song” by  
Debbie Levy and Vanessa Brantley-Newton. It was a long shot, but I was going to try and make a connection and turn this situation into an empowering one for these kiddos. If you are not familiar with this book, let me give you a quick summary. It is all about slavery, race relations, and the journey of equality and doing the right thing between blacks and whites. The book walks the reader through history, showing the reader that even in times of struggle, strife and pain…there was a reason to sing, to celebrate, to believe that “we will overcome” this obstacle in front of us.



As I read, the faces of my precious babies softened, their tears weren’t falling as hard, and one by one I saw them move closer, hold hands and lean on one another. The message of the book was healing not only their hearts, but mine as well. What these precious children don’t know is that I have been struggling with this change too, knowing that MRE staff members are embarking on a new journey to open a new school, worrying about losing friends and part of my support system. I wondered how many adults in our building are dealing with the exact same feelings these 4th graders are dealing with, even the ones that are excited to go, don’t want to leave others behind. I kept reading, trying not to think about the power of this exact moment too much, knowing I would turn into a puddle of emotion, if I did. My voice quivered a bit, but I knew it was okay for these 4th graders to hear me being real. I looked up and a few students were getting up and went to stand on a line, a crack in the cement. At first I thought, “What are they doing,” but before I could make sense of it, they made sense of it for me. In the most genuine, quiet, orderly fashion, the rest of the students followed. They all stood as one, side by side, on that line, arms around each other, now swaying as I sat on the concrete finishing up the book, “We Shall Overcome”. When the book ended they all clapped and as if it were scripted, the biggest group hug in the entire world happened.



There was no more sadness, there was hope. We went back to the classroom and brainstormed ways we, this class of the most beautiful souls put together for such a time as this, could communicate and stay in touch. Email? Texting? Apps? Websites?  We don’t have it all set in stone yet, but together, 19 4th graders and one humbled teacher, are building a plan to keep the lines of communication open and OVERCOME our fear of change. Yesterday, REAL LIFE happened at Morton Ranch Elementary, and it was the most beautiful lesson I have ever witnessed. 19 empowered 4th graders supported each other, worked through a tough growing pain and TAUGHT the teacher something so much bigger than anything in the curriculum.


Miss Renee Glasscock





No comments:

Post a Comment