Wednesday, May 25, 2016

May 25 - Mrs. Martinez, Fifth Grade

                                  Tough Love: Too Much or Just Right? 

My 5th grade students have been creating their end of year slides for our graduation ceremony. While I was looking through and editing the slides, I started thinking... Why do these kids like me so much? I'm constantly told I'm so strict and yet... Several of the students stated how much they wanted to thank me for everything I did to help them succeed this school year. This made me reflect on the impact I make on my students everyday. Most of the time, I think to my self...stop being so intense... Am I being too hard on these kids? I tend to forget that they aren't my biological kids, but man, they sure do pull at my heart strings. What is it that I give them that makes them WANT to keep coming back to me everyday? The no excuses allowed in my classroom? The "solve your problem" mantra? The " I love you too much to argue" statement I use 1,000 times a day? 

Then, it dawned on me. My biggest challenge, my hardest student... Needs my strict, consistent environment the most. He needs to know exactly what is expected. He needs a firm voice and someone who shows passion. He needs me. Everyday. I believe the structure of my classroom allows my students to feel safe, needed and wanted. It is just so mind boggling sometimes... These kiddos like to come into a very strict teacher's classroom because it shows I care? 

That's what makes sense to them, so that makes sense to me. Who knew that my biggest challenge, my hardest student, would be the one to write the sweetest note about me. Thanking me for pushing him to his limits. Interesting enough... He was the one who pushed me to my limits... Everyday. 


All of this sounds a little like...parenting. That  must be it. I'm mama bear to these students. And the added bonus... I get to teach them at the same time. Life is good.

Mrs. Kelley Martinez


2 comments:

  1. No surprise Mrs. Martinez. You are exactly right.

    ReplyDelete